Tuesday, May 16, 2017

You Want Another?

  Here's another face on hand. I really could do these a long time and not get bored. The complexity of a face with the hand thrown in for an extra challenge. As long as the subject speaks to me I'm in for the long haul. Here's the next picture that called my name:
  I love the expression, although I'm told her students see this look A LOT, so they may not appreciate it as much as I do. I know I want to get up close on the face. I have no need for the background, so as far as I'm concerned it's dead to me. I chose another prepared canvas:
   I figured that the upper right portion, which doesn't have as much pigment as other places, matches well with the reference photo. The greenish blob at the bottom will do well to represent the body and the pale spot just above the middle will be a good spot for the face to rest.
   So, I start laying out the composition. Did I start with black, or white? Well, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. Here's step one:
   White. I started with white. I painted all the highlights and tried to capture a likeness from the start. Sometimes that works better than others. Sometimes a painting can be done at this stage ( Which frustrates me. I just get started painting and all of a sudden it's over. I listen to my paintings and they tell me where to go. When they say "it's over" then it's over.) This one is just getting started though. If you've been reading my blogs and paying attention you know what comes next. Black:
   At this point I let it dry and compare it to the reference. What needs adjusting? What needs more black? Less black? How are the proportions.  The hand and the mouth/nose need to be tweaked. i can see that right away. So, when the black dries, it's time for the tweaking white layer:
  Which, I can now see, was actually a tweaking black layer. It's all a part of my fluid process. It's starting to look better now. It just needs a few more things. Like what? Like this:
  She now has some life in the eyes. The mouth and hand are much better. I look a while and then this comes:

   I'm looking at it now and thinking, "it needs to be tied together". The best way to do that is with a thin layer of color. Just enough to tint the whole thing and tie every part of it together:
  The lucky color was green. A little green from the tube and a wet rag to spread it around. I helps take the edges off. I'm really liking where this is going, and we're almost there. I pull out my small brush and touch up a little black and a bit of white:
   It's looking pretty good. I'm (almost) tickled to death. My desire to be the Hendrix of acrylic painting spurs me on to do a couple more minor tweaks and lo and behold:

   A few minor adjustments. A few small white highlights on the eyes. I'm very proud of this one. Many thanks to my friend Stephanie for sending me the picture. She's been a fan of my art for a long time and I really appreciate her support.
  This one was pretty similar to the other two. I did use my secret "Color Tint Layer" to help it tie itself together. I don't really tell people about that, so if you could kinda keep it to yourself I'd appreciate it. I suppose the number of views on this one will help dictate if I do another one on here or move on to another topic. Tell your friends. Or, send me some questions or ideas. I'm game for pretty much anything.
    AKO ANG HARI


3 comments:

  1. I love your process and the amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your process and the amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not sure anyone realizes how difficult these are for me. I've gotten used to showing my work and taking complements, but showing my actual process is, to me, like pulling back the curtain and showing that the Wizard is just a man. I sometimes think that I'll be mocked for using a crazy, unorthodox method.

      Delete