Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Here's A Good Chance

   I'm not sure if I ever have, but I've wanted to give some insights into my process for naming my paintings. I just had a few that I thought would be perfect for this.

   This is "How Could You Forget Me?":
I just brought this up from Paducah last week (I know, after a year and a half I should be done with the move from Paducah, but it's been complicated). I grabbed about a dozen of these (3' x 2' size). I saw this one when I got here and thought "why have I not photographed this one already?". So, when I did I needed a name. I had forgotten to take this pic. No idea why. Or how. How I could have forgotten. Boom! Painting title. It also fits well. A guy on a phone with two women in each upper corner. All of a sudden there's a title and a back story. Ta-da.

    Here is "It's Not Broken":
This also just came up from Paducah. I obviously painted this face over an abstract purple field. I like this one, but when I look at it the nose seems off. It's too late for me to fix it and it's not that big a deal. His nose. It's not broken. Bam! Painting title. It also says something about the expression on his face. Road weary, but not giving up. Beaten. But not broken.

This one is "Regality":
I just finished this one the other day. A small "daily painting" type acrylic. I'm very happy with it. When I went to post it I needed to give it a title. She had an air of royalty, to me anyway. She's not royalty, but regal seemed more accurate. Regal didn't seem like a good title. Royalty? Naw. Hey, I'll combine the two. Regality. Is that a word? No. Does it matter? Not really. Not to me. I like the title and it really seems to fit. It gives it a name and a bit of a back story. Just what I like for a title to do.

    So, that's the story on three of the unique painting title stories. Perhaps I'll do another one of these some day. Some of my titles have a lot more behind them that you would ever suspect. Some titles come to me as soon as I finish a painting, or even as I'm creating it. Some titles have more to do with what's going on in my life than what's going on with the art. Some titles remind me of exactly what my life was about at the time. Sometimes I can't remember how I came up with the title. Crazy, right?

AKO ANG HARI                             Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee
DOUG

No comments:

Post a Comment