Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Artist Problems

So, I've been reorganizing my portfolio, after the unfortunate issue with my back up drive . I found some really cool pictures that I had forgotten about. Here's some more. They're the "making of" pictures of Picasso:
I really like this one. It hangs in my bedroom. It's the first thing I see, after my wife, every day. I'm quite proud of it. It's six feet tall and four feet wide. Massive artistic goodness. So, here's how I made it. First, I attached four canvases together. Then I laid out the rough areas of the face:
Nothing special so far. His hair makes him look like a mad scientist. I'll fix that. Here's the next step:
Okay, so nothing happened in between these two. I'm not sure why I took an extra shot of this stage, but who am I to question myself? It does show part of my studio, which was in the basement of the house I grew up in. I was taking care of my mother at the time. It was a pretty cool studio. Anyway, I'm gonna be taking a sea sponge, dipping it in black, and blending in the roughed out patches of color: 

I darkened the hand and shoulder after this one. Turns out there weren't really a whole lot of 'in progress pictures'. Sorry. At least this will give more of an idea of how I did things back then. Pre digital camera. So, here's another series. The only other on I have. I'm not sure why this one got photographed. It's not a bad painting, just nothing really different from what I was doing. Oh, well, why ask why?
I roughed out the picture in black and white, then brushes layer upon layers of thin paint to give it the color. The white patches on the right side are from me getting excess paint out of my brush. On my canvas. I'd adjust my easel to hold them horizontally and sometimes I'd even mix paint on the painting itself. I obey no rules. Sometimes I would blend colors, sometimes just build them up. this particular one doesn't have any tonal blending in it. It's all gonna get done with black paint. My go to.
I was always amazed at how much the paintings change at this stage. I never got tired of these. I don't know how other artists feel, but I felt amazing doing these. No self doubt. No problem I couldn't face. It never sucks to be me when I'm
in the studio.

AKO ANG HARI
     DOUG

No comments:

Post a Comment